If you are a disciple of Jesus, our culture deems you weird. Evangelical Christians are labeled extremists because they want to obey a God-given command to share the gospel.
To believe the Bible, follow Jesus and believe that he has sent you as missionaries to your city makes you weird.
If that is the case, than I am all for giving our culture what they want….more weirdness. In fact, I am willing to even suggest that we start a weirdness rebellion.
Yes. You heard right. A weirdness rebellion. Let’s be weird as considered by our culture because their version of weird is very normal when you look at Scripture.
- Instead of shunning outcasts and ignoring them, let’s share the love and compassion of Jesus with them.
- Resist the temptation to believe that you are sustained by a paycheck. You know at the core of your spirit that Jesus and Jesus alone is your provider and sustainer.
- When you are going through a storm, you do not run to Oprah, Dr. Phil, or Google. You run to Jesus because Jesus will walk with you through the storm.
- You don’t believe that the Bible is just an ancient, irrelevant book. No. You believe the Bible is the very words of God. You believe the Bible is your highest authority. You believe that it is essential for you to live the Christian life and passionately pursue Jesus.
- You are not controlled by money. Money is a tool. We do not own what we have. Jesus owns our stuff. We just manage it as his stewards. We are increasing in learning how to be better stewards all the time.
- You believe that marriage is God-ordained. You believe that marriage is between one man and one woman not because a law stated that but because God said it. You believe that sex is a gift that is best reserved to share with your spouse and no one else. Marriage is an example of how a God-centered couple can live in such a way as to show that serving others and dying to oneself glorifies God.
- You believe that children are a gift from God. Every baby is a miracle. God works inside a woman’s womb to hand form a baby. God intricately works in the details of the DNA of that baby to give that baby personality, likes, dislikes, a bent on how it will learn, and character traits.
- You believe that the church is not a building. The church worship gathering is not a waste of time but it is the primary means by which you are equipped to be sent out as missionaries to the city to share Jesus and the gospel with the people in your city.
- You believe that the gospel message is still the only message that God uses to draw people to Jesus and save them from eternal destruction. You believe that the church is the primary means by which God chooses to communicate his gospel message.
There is so much more in the Bible that we as disciples of Christ should follow and apply to our lives.
The culture does not understand why we would have this passion and zeal for Jesus and his gospel. They cannot comprehend it.
As saints who were once lost and then chosen by Jesus to be redeemed, we have an angst and an urgency to put an end to their confusion and help them know why we desire to serve Jesus Christ.
It is through this “weirdness” that some people will come to know Jesus.
May the Holy Spirit provoke you to want to live a life that so conforms to the image of Jesus that people are actually interested in what makes you so “weird.”
I will leave you with this:
Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God. Hebrews 12:1-2