The letter stated that the pastor of the church confessed to his church that he had been engaged in a two year sexual affair with his secretary and he had submitted his resignation to the church.
When I first read this….I was instantly crushed. Another pastor, a man of God, having to resign because of something that should never have happened.
Reading this pastor’s confession, I am instantly reminded that I myself am just as capable of succumbing to the same sin. Jeremiah 17:9 says, “The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick; who can understand it?”
My own stinking heart desires to lead me astray. My will, mind, and emotions if not transformed by the radical grace of Christ, will ultimately lead me to that which has the potential to destroy me.
This does not have to happen to you but you must take action.
- Never be alone with a member of the opposite sex.
- Cultivate your relationship with your spouse. Work at your marriage and put time and effort into seeing it become a Christ – centered marriage.
- Establish boundaries. Since your heart is deceitful, there must be boundaries placed in your life to help you in your fight against sin.
- Have an accountability partner. This person has the right to get in your face, pray for you, speak truth in your life and you have the same right to hold your partner accountable. I am thankful for having an accountability partner in my life.
- Hide nothing from your spouse. God created you and your spouse to be one flesh. There is no room in a marriage for secrets. My wife can go through my email, wallet, car, computer, etc. I would rather be the husband and father God created me and live above reproach. I have no reason to lie to my wife.
- Renew your mind. This is daily and constantly. The only way you can have the mind of Christ is to constantly be re-training your mind to think like Christ. (Romans 12:2)
- Run from all forms of sexual temptation. Lust will lure you to its door and slowly begin to devour you. Run from it before you become its prey.
- Install a filter on your computer. I recommend Safe Eyes. This filter will block sexually explicit material as well as other trash from your computer screen. It can also send reports of the sites you visit to your spouse and accountability partner.
- Get help. If you have a problem with sex or porn…get immediate help. This issue will not only destroy you but will wreck your relationships, especially the relationships with your spouse and God.
This list is not extensive by any means. These are just some of the things that I use to keep me from danger.
We are all one stupid decision away from ruining our testimony, wrecking our families, and our relationship with our Heavenly Father.
Keep your heart with all vigilance, for from it flow the springs of life. Proverbs 4:23
What other tools do you use to fight sin and keep yourself pure? Hit up the comments.