I hope that you are having a great week.
Here are a few announcements that you need to mark on your calendar:
- This coming Wednesday there will be a potluck dinner at my house. My lovely wife will be leading the discussion. Bring your favorite dish and get ready to have a great time of fellowship and time in the Word.
- Sunday morning at 9:00 am. FaithPoint Men, we will meet at McDonald’s for our next chapter in our book. I look forward to seeing you there.
- Sunday morning will be our second Sunday in our new series DNA. This would be a great time to invite a friend.
Here are the notes from the sermon on Sunday:
The text for this sermon is Romans 10:1-13. The title for this sermon is: DNA: Foundations. This is Week one of our series: DNA.
A.W. Tozer quote: “What comes into our minds when we think about God is the most important thing about us.”
You may recall a series we did called God of This City. We did an informal study of our city. We asked people in our community what they believe about certain things related to Christianity and we got back a wide range of answers. We went to Scripture and showed you what the Bible said so that you could have better gospel-centered conversations.
Recently, Ligoner ministries and LifeWay Research teamed up together and did a study titled What is Our Theological Temperature? You can find the results online. I want to share with you some of their results.
They surveyed the evangelical church. Denominations that uphold to believing that Jesus is the only way to salvation through the hearing of the gospel. In other words, you are saved by grace alone, through faith alone, by Christ alone.
Here are some of the results that I find to be incredibly disturbing.
- People are confused about God. They don’t know who God is or what to believe about Him.
- People do not believe the Holy Spirit is a person.
- People do not believe in the deity of Jesus – Jesus is God and second person of the Trinity.
- People do not believe that sin is as bad as the Bible makes it sound.
- More than half the people surveyed do not believe that the Bible is the Word of God.
- The same number of people reject what the Bible says on ethical issues such as sex outside of marriage.
- 6 out of 10 people believe in a literal place called Heaven but believe that you don’t need Jesus to get there.
- 6 out of 10 people believe in a literal place called Hell but believe that you are inherently good and so there won’t be many people there.
- People also believe that they do not need to be part of a local church. They believe that individual worship is just as valid as corporate worship.
So, what we have is a bunch of people who call themselves Christians that believe they look spiritual but they have no foundation. There is no deep root system.
We have all seen the guy at the gym, who has a big chest, and big arms and no legs. Right? He looks like an upside down pear with toothpicks for legs. He thinks in his mind that he looks good. But he has neglected his foundation. The human body works like this, strength and balance come from the core and the legs. Because he is top heavy, I could probably tackle him to the ground. There is no stability there. He would fall, the moment he felt the force of me crashing into him.
Jesus said this about foundations: Luke 6:46-49
Knowing is not believing.
Knowing does not translate into action.
Just because you know something does not mean that you will take action on it.
We all know things that we should or should not be doing but that does not change our actions because we do not believe them at the core of who we are.
We know french fries are bad but we are going to eat them anyway. Why? You don’t believe that french fries are bad enough for you to stop eating them.
- If you truly believe in the forgiveness of sins, you would run to Jesus when you screw up instead of away from Him.
- When money is tight, you will not give to the church regardless of what the Bible says, because you do not believe Philippians 4:19, My God will supply all your needs according to His glorious riches in Christ Jesus.
- You don’t believe that your Heavenly Father loves you like a Daddy loves his child. So, you don’t see the point in spending time with your Daddy.
- You continue to stress, worry, be anxious, because you do not believe Matthew 6:25-34 Let’s hang out here for a second. A bird does not worry or stress about where it is going to sleep or where its next meal is going to come from. Likewise, a flower does not stress about the amount of rain or sunshine that may or may not get. The flower is not anxious or worrying about when is the appropriate time for it to bloom. Do you seriously think that you do not have more value than a bird? A bird. The Bible says that God is our Sustainer and Provider. He is a good Dad that loves to take care of His children. You have to believe that He is your Sustainer. You have to believe that He is your Provider.
- You continue to walk in fear instead of faith because you only trust what you can see.
Belief translates into action.
You will only act upon what you believe.
This is why we are in this series called DNA.
We need to get back to an orthodox view of Christianity. We need to get back to the very core of what it means to be a disciple of Jesus. What we mean by orthodox is normal by the standards of Scripture.
Look at Romans 10:9
It does not say: if you know.
It says: If you believe
If you do not believe the Bible, IT IS NOT THE BIBLE’S FAULT.
If you believe: We all know Scriptures. We have heard them since we were young or we have even memorized them. There is nothing wrong with knowing Scripture. The problem comes when those Scriptures have no bearing on how you live your life. You will only obey Scripture if you believe Scripture.
Why are you not making disciples? It comes down to unbelief. You either don’t believe that Acts 1:8 or Matthew 28 applies to you, or you don’t believe that the gospel is sufficient.
I am firmly convinced that you can not truly love God with all your heart, soul, and mind until your mind begins to be transformed by being renewed. Your mind has to be renewed. Why? Because you are full of unbelief. Your mind has to be renewed because there are Scriptures that you know but don’t obey.
It is hard to follow someone that you don’t believe in.
Everyone of you has areas of their life where they find Scripture hard to obey or believe. Where you are in your lack of believing is your setback to progressing in sanctification. You can’t conform to the image of Jesus or be everything that He created you to be if you don’t believe everything that He has laid out in front of you.
This is the time to cry out to Jesus.
Be like the father in Mark 9, He cried out to Jesus “I believe, help my unbelief.”
Cry out to Jesus.
Help my unbelief.
I LOVE OUR CHURCH!
If you liked this post, please like and share. I hope that you are excited about our new DNA series. If you would like to share your thoughts on this sermon, head on over to my Facebook page and leave a comment.