Here are some announcements so that you know what is coming up.
- The funeral for my dad will be Wednesday at 11am.
- There will be no Wednesday night gathering but feel free to stop by our house and visit with us if you like.
- FaithPoint Men, we will be meeting Sunday morning at 9:00 to discuss the next chapter of our book. I look forward to our time of discussion.
- We will be in week 4 of our DNA series. This would be a good time to invite friends or family to come with you.
Here are the notes from Sunday:
The title for this sermon is: The Word of God – Authority of Scripture. This is week 3 in our DNA series.
How do we know that the Bible is God’s Word?
In what sense is Scripture our highest authority?
We have heard it. The Holy Spirit helps us to believe that the Bible is God’s Word through faith.
There are different forms for the Word of God:
- The Word of God as Jesus – Revelation 19:13, John 1:1, John 1:14
- The Word of God as decrees by God – Genesis 1:3 A decree of God is a word of God that causes something to happen
- The Word of God as personal address – God speaks directly to a person. Adam, Moses, Jonah, Isaiah, Jeremiah
- Word of God as spoken through humans – God raises up prophets through whom He speaks. Jeremiah 1:7, 1:9-10 Anyone who claims to be speaking for the Lord but did not receive a message from the Lord was severely punished.
- The Word of God as written words – The Bible Exodus 32:16, Deut. 31:24-26, Joshua 24:26
For our DNA series: We are going to focus on the Word of God as written words – The Bible.
Wayne Grudem, in his book, Systematic Theology, says this: The authority of Scripture means that all the words in Scripture are God’s words in such a way that to disbelieve or disobey any word of Scripture is to disbelieve or disobey God.
2 Timothy 3:16
2 Peter 1:21
It is one thing to know that the Bible is God’s Word. It is another thing entirely to be convinced or believe that the Bible is God’s Word.
1 Corinthians 2:14
Apart from the Holy Spirit, a person cannot fully understand spiritual truth and will not receive or accept that the words of Scripture are the words of God.
Sin distorts people’s perception of reality. They do not see Scripture for what it truly is. It takes the work of the Holy Spirit in us, overcoming the effects of sin, and persuade us that Scripture is the Word of God and true.
Titus 1:2 – God never lies.
Psalm 119:89 – God’s Word is firmly fixed in heaven.
Matthew 24:35 – Jesus says, Heaven and earth will pass away but my words will never pass away.
Numbers 23:19 – God is not man, that he should lie.
John 17:17 – Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth.
Jesus is saying that God’s word is not just true but it is truth itself.
We know these verses but are we convinced enough that Scripture is our highest authority?
Conviction or belief will be lived out through obedience to the Scriptures.
Psalm 119:5, 6, 7, 10, 11, 12
We believe that the Bible in its original written form is inerrant, that is to say that the Bible is without error or fault in all of its teachings.
Scripture is sufficient as our supreme authority in all spiritual matters. All truth necessary for salvation and spiritual life (sanctification) is found in Scripture. Scripture is the highest and most supreme authority for any matter that it addresses.
1 Corinthians 10:31
I LOVE OUR CHURCH!
If you liked this post, please like and share. If you would like to share your thoughts on this sermon or any other sermon in this series, head over to my Facebook page and leave a comment.